OUR DIY ALL PURPOSE RECIPE
As some people know, we make most of our household products ourselves. And if you want to try it at home, nothing easier. Here is the recipe we use in our cottages – for a fraction of the price of commercial products and without damage to the environment.
It’s much faster to do than running to the store … or in our case, waiting for our order.
Obviously, to get started, it will take the initial investment of a little time and a little money for the purchase of materials. But it will be quickly profitable for both you and the planet!
So, without further ado, here it is!
ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER GREATLY INSPIRED BY OUR FAVORITE GALS: LES TRAPPEUSES!
- Boiled (and cooled off) water
- Rubbing alcohol 70% or more
- Liquid Castile soap – Peppermint or any essence you like
- Here, note that it is also possible to simply use an unscented Castile soap. Or, if you cannot find the fragrance that makes your chores more pleasant, use an odorless Castile soap and add essential oils to your taste: conifers, citrus fruits, lavender, tea tree, cinnamon… They all have anti-bacterial, antifungal or disinfectant properties in addition to enhancing your moment! It’s up to you to do your research on the properties and play with the fragrances, the proportions and the possible synergies. IF you choose to add some, the essential oils can represent from 1% to 10% of the total amount of your recipe without problem. But beware of waste: essential oils are precious. And on the other hand, if you are going to add them, might as well be able to smell them! So it’s according to your good judgment.
- 82.4% water
- 14.2% alcohol
- 3.4% liquid Castile soap
To produce 1L:
- 825mL Water
- 143mL Alcohol
- 32mL Liquid Castile Soap
- Calculator (to determine your quantities based on the capacity of your container)
- Measuring cup
- Bottle + spray
- Boil the water
- Reserve the boiled water and let it cool
- Determine the amounts of each ingredient based on the capacity of the chosen container
- Measure and pour the alcohol into the spray bottle
- Measure and add the Castile soap to the mixture
- (Optional: measure and add essential oils)
- Add the warm water and shake well
Shake well before each use. Spray and wipe.